Military Retirement and Discharge Paperwork

It shouldn’t be so complicated in a paperless electronic military, but after you leave you’re going to need a number of different pieces of paper for your own personal records. You’ll have to keep track of some of them for the rest of your life, and they’re almost impossible to correct or replace after you leave the service. Regardless of the details, here’s the big picture: start early, get it done before you retire, and save copies in more than one place.

You already have a retirement checklist, but let’s dig into the nitty-gritty details behind each one of the paperwork items.  I believe that this is the world’s most complete retirement-paperwork summary because I’ve made nearly every one of these mistakes.

DD Form 214 – Military Discharge Paperwork

Let’s start with the summary itself. Each service processes the Certificate of Release or Discharge From Active Duty (DD Form 214) with their own specific procedures, but try to review your rough draft as early as six months before you retire.  Don’t wait for your personnel-service branch to contact you– contact them and explain that you’d like to review a draft now so that you can fix any problems or surprises.

The DD-214 is the official summary of where you’ve served and what you’ve done. If there’s a special skill or qualification that you feel is important to your future benefits or your résumé, then make sure it’s on your DD-214– or make sure you understand why it can’t be done. Sometimes a skill will be left off your DD-214 because “it’s not in the system” or “you don’t have that rating” or “you don’t have that specialty code”.

The processing clerk may be correct in this assessment, but they’re rarely in a position to do anything about it. This means that you may have to correct the errors with your service’s personnel bureau by documenting why you should have that skill or code. Over the years of your career, it’s quite possible that a performance report won’t have all the right codes transferred over to a database, or a software conversion introduces more errors, or your codes are even dropped as a particular skill is phased out of the service.

Get started early— document and updating this part of the system can take 6-10 weeks. Once you get the appropriate data in the personnel system then it’s much easier to make it pop up in your DD-214. It’s hypothetically possible to correct an error after you’ve retired, but it’s also a lengthy bureaucratic experience that may ultimately fail. You’ve spent years of training to get it right the first time, and the DD-214 is one of the most important places to make that happen.

After retirement, most veterans stuff their DD-214 into an “important papers” file and forget about it. This almost guarantees that it will be missing the next time you need it. Make several copies and include them with all your important papers: your copy of your service record, your medical record, and your financial records. Scan an encrypted copy onto your hard drive or upload it to a secure website. Archive another copy with a retiree organization. You won’t have to go looking for it when you apply for veteran’s benefits, exemptions on real-estate taxes, or other retirement benefits that might be available where you live.

For years veterans were advised to register their DD-214 with the city or county clerk’s office. Their official record of service would always be available to them regardless of loss, fire, or other disasters. Today many veterans are concerned about recording their DD-214 as a public record because it contains their Social Security number, which would then be publicly accessible and a risk for identity theft. For others, it reveals more information about a military career than perhaps you would want available for public inspection. You may decide that the risks of identity theft and adverse publicity are not worth the convenience.

You’ll also want to include a copy with your will and your “In Case Of Emergency” file. Your DD-214 can then be retrieved by your representatives (executor, spouse, children). You, your executor and your family will be glad you did.

Over the years on active duty, you’ve depended on your base’s legal office to take care of your wills, medical directives, powers of attorney, and other important family documents. Your retirement may involve moving to another state (or even another country!), finding new doctors and dentists, selling and buying real estate, and changing many other aspects of your life. Review your legal files and update these documents before you leave the command. You may even find a military lawyer at your base who can advise you on legal issues or other matters in your new location.

As you complete your command’s checklist and review your pay statements, make sure all your travel claims have been paid and that your government credit card is turned in. The Defense Finance & Accounting Service audits your final pay record and will eventually correct any oversights, but this could take up to a year. This is also the organization that issues your final military W-2 wage summary and your retiree 1099-R pension statements, so you don’t want to get a series of corrected forms during the middle of income-tax season.

Leave – Should You Sell it or Take Terminal Leave?

While you’re planning your retirement timeline, pay close attention to your leave balance. Remember that you’ll continue to accrue leave at the rate of 2½ days per month right up until the day you retire, and that leave either has to be used or sold back.

If you’re moving to a new location after you retire then you may be eligible to take permissive temporary duty in addition to using your leave. If your leave balance is exceptionally high after a deployment, then you may have to use some of it to avoid losing it at the end of the fiscal year! The rules vary for each service and deployment situation. Research your service and command policies to determine how you’ll use your leave and then schedule it around your other retirement actions.

The military considers a day of leave to be worth only a day of base pay– no allowances or special pays. If you decide to sell back a month of leave then you’ll get exactly one month of base pay and no more. If you take a month of leave then you’ll earn base pay, special pay, and allowances. Make sure you have a plan for your terminal leave time, even if it’s just decompressing.

While selling back leave gives you quite a bit of money to start your retirement with, it might make more sense to delay your retirement date to enjoy an entire month of leave while collecting not only base pay but all of your other entitlements. You have to decide whether time or money is more important to you, as well as the risk of your command recalling you while you’re “just” on leave.

If you decide to sell back leave, make sure that taxes are either withheld from your lump sum or that you pay estimated taxes on the amount. If you don’t have sufficient tax withheld from your pay and other income during the year (including the leave you sell back) then you’ll encounter late-payment penalties and interest charges on your tax return.

Planning Your Final Months of Pay

While you’re reviewing your pay statement, consider maximizing your contributions to the Thrift Savings Plan for that year. Whether you’re separating or retiring, you have one final opportunity to boost your account in the world’s largest and cheapest investment funds. As of this writing, the TSP funds charge an expense ratio of 0.03% (only three basis points!) and veterans may even be eligible to roll their IRA over to their TSP account. These are once-in-a-career decisions that will affect years of tax-deferred compounding. Review the TSP rules, talk with your command’s TSP representative, and make the decision well before your retirement ceremony.

Whether you plan to start a bridge career or become a diehard surf bum, consider whether you want to maintain your eligibility for a security clearance. Your command security manager will have the appropriate unclassified statement to put in your civilian résumé to refer to your military clearance.

At least six weeks before your retirement date, and before you detach from your command, give your DD-214 one more check. The personnel staff may not release your final copy until your retirement date, or they may be able to forward it to your new address.

Turning in All Your Gear, and Out-Processing Your Unit

Back at work, inventory all the gear that your job is entitled to and personally verify that the gear you’re responsible for is actually present or accounted for. Wherever possible, make sure that it’s under your personal control or locked away or transferred to someone else’s custody. The person intending to take over your job may balk at doing so until they have the tools they need. If something isn’t where it’s supposed to be, then either find it right now or else stiffen your resolve and start the investigation. It’s hard to imagine a worse way to spend the week before retirement than looking for “missing” objects.

Speaking of missing objects, hang onto your receipts for turning in controlled equipment and classified material– save them for at least three years. The command may not discover any “issues” until weeks or even months after you retire, and your receipt is your only proof that you didn’t lose anything. The command may also appreciate your assistance with clearing up any problems in their own records, and your receipts will be a big help to the investigating officer.

It goes without saying that you should also return any “borrowed” office equipment or supplies. While they may have eased your military burden through telecommuting or on official travel, they’re not yours to take into retirement. After years of pinching pennies on your command’s budget, it may be a surprise to learn that pens, paper, and other office equipment are surprisingly affordable at many fine retail outlets. Make a fresh start on your retirement by using anything more stylish than government-furnished office supplies.

Final Move – Stay in Place, or One Final PCS?

While you’re dreaming about a fresh start, are you living in your retirement location or will you need to move? If you’re moving, when do you want to do that? Depending on your housing situation, you may be able to extend your stay until after your retirement. Although you may be eager to start your new life after the military, the last few months before retirement will be a very hectic time. You’ll be wrapping up the loose ends at work, putting the finishing touches on your retirement ceremony, and gathering all your family & friends. You’ll probably have a number of house guests over the next few weeks, and that’s a very difficult time to start sorting possessions for packing or storage.

If command operations and your retirement timeline permit it, try to have your retirement ceremony at least a week before you start packing out your household goods. That’ll give you time to finish detaching from your command, send off your last house guests, clean up after their departure, and have some time to catch your breath before you start preparing for the move. It’ll also give you a chance to figure out what you’re going to do with all those retirement presents and plaques!

You retirees:  did I miss anything?  Do you have any sea stories to tell about your retirement paperwork?

Related Articles:
Exit Interviews, Last-Minute Questions, and the Retirement Ceremony
How Much Is Your Military Pay Really Worth?

About Doug Nordman

Author of "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement" and co-author of "Raising Your Money-Savvy Family For Next Generation Financial Independence."
This entry was posted in Military Retirement. Bookmark the permalink.

32 Responses to Military Retirement and Discharge Paperwork

  1. Doug Schroeder says:

    Dear Sir / Ma’am,

    I was discharged from the Navy in 1979 or early 1980, with an honorable medical status, I have almost turned my home upside down trying to locate my dd-214.

    I did take advantage of my delayed enlistment school or college benefit, however i am 52 now and the reason i was discharged is catching up with me. I worked in the booklet room on the USS MORTON – DD948, based out of Hawaii.

    Can you please help in any way, i would appreciate it more than you know!

    Thank you in advance for your time.

    Doug Schroeder
    407-509-7159 or 321-689-9584

  2. Armida Martinez says:

    when one retires is a signature required by spouse in order to get discharged or is a retirement certificate obtained by army attendee who served in the army. If army person is at war at the time of retirement are they allowed to retire anyways if their time is completed

    • Doug Nordman says:

      I’m not sure that I fully understand the question, Armida, but when you retire from the military then the only spouse signature that I can think of is their agreement on the amount you’ll choose for the Survivor Benefit Plan. Even then, if they don’t sign then the SBP defaults to the full amount of coverage.

      Please tell me more about what you mean by “a retirement certificate obtained by Army attendee”, but you’ll get a retiree ID card. A retirement certificate is usually provided to you by the Army as part of the retirement process.

      At any time, in war or in peace, the military can invoke a stop loss on servicemember separations and retirements. Your pay and benefits (and the rest of your career) will continue during the stop-loss extension, of course, but you can only leave the military with your service’s approval (and the set of orders).

      Please let me know if this doesn’t answer your entire question. You can post a comment here or you could also e-mail me at NordsNords at Gmail.

    • Vickie Magoon says:

      Talking to this guy on the internet he says his name has General Ben Carson and told me he needs money so he can get is retirement paperwork going I was just wondering if that was true or not

      • Doug Nordman says:

        Thanks for asking us, Vickie!

        It’s a scam. U.S. military servicemembers do not need to pay money to start their retirement paperwork. Especially not when they’re really generals.

  3. Helen says:

    my husband was a Ltcol in the USAFR, they have lost many forms I have requested: DD214 etc. he was reactivated after 9/11 for 4 years. He signed the SBP in 2006 after the tour and it was signed by him unknowing exactly what the check marked box meant, but I also signed it at home without any military personal at the date of signing. He continued with the reserves until he retired in 2009. We were stationed out of Charleston SC, but lived in Alaska. All paperwork and lack there of paperwork was done from here. We were never told he had to go on base to do all the retirement paperwork, so much paperwork was overlooked. (He was a pilot, so paperwork was not his strong point) I would assume that we would have to resign a new SBP at that time, never happened. I lost him last September to an aneurism. Any help on this subject would be greatly appreciated, I am working with a VA represent here in Alaska, but this is out of his area. We have contacted the archives for the paperwork and they can not located them. I also have my senator helping, but want I really want to know is the SBP valid if it was not signed in 2009 when he retired

    • Doug Nordman says:

      I’m sorry to read about your husband, Helen.

      I don’t know of a good way to solve this problem. It’s possible that you’re considered to have opted into the Reserve Component Survivor Benefit Plan (by default) simply because you never explicitly opted out. However you’ll absolutely want to consult a lawyer about your rights.

      I realize you’ve learned a lot about the SBP in the last year. One of the best resources I’ve found is Kate Horrell’s SBP roundup post:
      You may need to refer your JAG (or civilian lawyer) to these details.

      You might also want to talk with a different VA representative. You can use your state Veterans Affairs representative (especially since you’re already talking with your senator). You could also contact a Veteran Service Officer with a local chapter of the American Legion, the Disabled American Veterans, the VFW, or even MOAA. The VSO’s services are free:

  4. Laurie says:

    How can i check to see if someone your writing to is real. His name is General Christopher Terry he says hes in us army and has pictures with a general’s uniform on. Is there a way I can find out if hes real or a scam Please and thank you

    • Doug Nordman says:

      Laurie, I’m sorry to write that almost every one of these situations is a scam for money. It’s very popular with thieves who will tell you that their “military pay is messed up” and ask you to wire them funds or send them gift cards.

      Every general or admiral in the U.S. military has an official biography. You should be able to find their information by searching for “General Christopher Terry biography” or “ bio.” Their command is also public information, and if they’re not willing to tell you about it then they’re simply misleading you.

  5. Rita says:

    Is it true that when a Lieutenant General wants to retire, he needs to pay for a retirement documents certificate? Or is this a scam asking for money?

    • Doug Nordman says:

      Rita, I’m sorry to say that it’s a scam.

      U.S. military retirees don’t have to pay for retirement documents or a certificate. A genuine U.S. lieutenant general earns at least $16,000/month and their pension would be at least $12,000/month.

  6. Haiku says:

    Hello I have a question when sgt wants to retire and is in active duty at the time does it require the spouse signature to confirm the retirement and sent back home

    • Doug Nordman says:

      Haiku, when a servicemember retires they’re eligible to purchase or decline the Survivor Benefit Plan. By default, the servicemember’s spouse is eligible for the full amount of the plan– unless the spouse declines with their signature.

      There’s no requirement for the spouse to sign for the retirement or the pension– only for the SBP.

  7. Valerie Morrissey says:

    I need help please. My husband just passed away a day before his 60th birthday. I am trying to complete his SSA Retirement he was still actively working, as well as his Airforce Retirement and ANG Retirement. All while planning his funeral. Is there anyone I can talk to for help? It is overwhelming. Thanking you in advance…

    • Doug Nordman says:

      I’m sorry for your loss, Valerie.

      Your best option is contacting a Veteran Service Officer for help with all of his veteran’s benefits. You can find VSOs at VA clinics or through local chapters of the American Legion, the DAV, the VFW, or even MOAA. These people are professional and experienced. More importantly, they can search quickly through your spouse’s records and they know what to look for.

      You can also contact your state’s Veterans Affairs office. They’ll be very familiar with his state & local benefits and can also help with the Air Force.

      If your spouse was a member of any veteran’s organizations, then talk with your local chapter or their national leadership. They frequently help with funerals and memorial services and may have referrals for you. Your local chapter of the American Legion might help even if he wasn’t a member.

      If you haven’t already done so, check the status of your spouse’s Survivor Benefit Plan for his pension. One of the options is a survivor’s annuity that begins paying immediately, and another is an annuity that pays out at age 60. He would have had to sign up for that, or you would have had to specifically decline it.

  8. Diane says:


    Hi, I am talking to a guy on the internet and he says that he needs money for his leave paperwork from the Navy. He is an admiral officer E5. What does that mean is this a scam?

    • Doug Nordman says:

      Diane, I’m sorry to say that’s a popular scam.

      • Diane Vassar says:

        Doug, what is the proper way that the military gets to retire? Is it after so many years they get to leave? Thank you , for your response.

      • Doug Nordman says:

        A member of the U.S. military can retire after 20 years of active duty and start their pension right away. They can also retire after any total combination of 20 years of active duty, Reserves, or National Guard service and start their pension at age 60. There are exceptions for medical or disability retirements, but that covers the most common situations.

        In the U.S. military, the word “leave” refers to paid time off. Servicemembers earn 30 days of leave per year (more than most corporate vacation time). They’re expected to have enough of their own money to afford their transportation and other expenses.

        If Navy servicemembers don’t have savings or an emergency fund (for whatever reason) then they can apply to the Navy-Marine Corps Relief Society for a low-interest short-term loan or a grant. They shouldn’t have to appeal to people on the Internet for financial assistance.

        In the U.S. Navy an admiral is an officer rank (O-7 through O-10) but an E-5 is an enlisted rank. Here’s the official .gov website for all of the U.S. military services:

  9. Danita Marie Weathers says:

    I have also been talking to a guy who says he is in Iraq and needs $200 for his discharge paperwork to be sent home. Like the few girls above. I know this is a scam. But how do you check to see if they are really who they say they are in the military? for Free, all this sites that i have been on want money to view the information. Is that not a part of public record. Also i a picture of his ID and just seems fishy. Thanks for the help

    • Doug Nordman says:

      Danita, I’m not aware of any public-record system which allows you to check who’s in the military. I suspect that data breaches and terrorists would be an issue.

      A version of the Defense Eligibility and Enrollment Reporting System database can be accessed by Tricare. The Defense Manpower Data Center somehow lets credit-card issuers or credit-reporting agencies verify military service (for a fee), but I doubt those companies can tap into that database directly.

      The only way that I’m aware of to verify military service would be to buy a criminal records check or a background check, which hopefully would report their employer.

      You’re doing it right: learning enough from them to form your own opinion. I’d do that with any online relationship, let alone one with a servicemember.

  10. Michelle Myers says:

    I have been talking with a woman based in Kabul. She claims she can get early retirement yet has served only 5 years in the US Army. Now she says I need to sign her retirement paperwork. Said she would send a secure place for my signature. Doesn’t add up to me. I am a Navy veteran, years back. Why would she need my signature on her retirement discharge?

  11. C Sasse says:


    When a general retires how long will it take and do they have to have things sent to home through a United Nations Diplomat Service with a fee to the families home. I have a friend talking to someone on hangouts and the general is asking for help to retire out and needs a place to send items.

    thank you!

  12. Celeste F says:

    Hello Doug, What’s on my mind is there a guy in the U.S. Marines. He goes by Bull. In was in Germany but now in Fort Worth. He told me he ready to retire from the Marines but needs money for retirement. Sounds kinda fishy to me that the Marines asked for money to retirement. What is the right procedure in the Marines for retirement if he has been in for 20 years? And also can you tell me if he has a illness like hepatitis C can he get medical leave now? What is the normal leave on medical or planned retirement?
    Thank you
    Celeste F.

    • Doug Nordman says:

      You’re right, Celeste, it’s fishy. Bull is probably trying to scam money from you.

      After 20 years of active duty he’d start his pension immediately upon retiring.

      If he’s being treated for any illness he’d either be on limited duty or temporary duty to a command where he’d have the time he needs for treatments and rehabilitation. If he’s retiring from that status then he’d use up his terminal leave or sell it back.

      I’ve only written about this for a decade, but the scams go back at least 30 years to the first Gulf War.

      • Celeste says:

        Hi Doug thank you for replying back to my email I really appreciate it but my question on this topic is he still an active duty marine he is a sergeant and he wanted me to give him money he say 30,000 for his retirement fee is there such a fee for retiring from the Marines that’s what sounds fishy to me he wanted me to have his lawyer pay off my credit cards and have me to go ahead and get gift cards and give them to him so he can give it to the officer for payments. On the illness he does have hepatitis C but he told me it was from drinking is there another way that he could have disability leave or something this is what I don’t understand, He told me he’s not scamming me but it just sounds very hard for me to believe I never heard of the United States military asking for a fee if you get ready for retirement I thought once you put your 20+ years and you can just leave I don’t know too much about the military but I like to know something is there such a thing as paying a fee before you retire.
        Thank you Doug Celeste F

      • Doug Nordman says:

        You’re right, Celeste, there’s no retirement fee from any of the U.S. armed forces. Your instincts are correct: you’re being scammed.

        From a criminal’s perspective, once you send him gift cards then you have no way to recover the money you’ve spent.

        There’s no such thing as “disability leave” in the U.S. armed forces. That’s a term from civilian employers. In the military the ill servicemember is attached to a command for treatment, like a command close to a military hospital or even a Wounded Warrior battalion. They’re not on leave, although they continue to accrue their regular leave of 30 days per year.

        Once you reach 20 years of active duty, when your retirement request is approved then on that date you simply check out of your final command and go to your new home. Servicemembers can take terminal leave (by using up their leave balance) or sell back the leave for some base pay.

        Regardless of the details: everything you’re being told is part of a popular scam.

      • Celeste says:

        Thank you for your time and honesty.


      • Celeste says:

        Morning Doug , On your reply Terminal Leave or sell it back what does that mean?

      • Doug Nordman says:

        On your 8 January question about terminal leave, Celeste, when servicemembers retire from the military with a leave balance then they can either go on leave and use it up, or sell it back to DoD.

        If a retiring servicemember is approved to take their leave then they continue to receive all of their monthly pay and benefits, including any specialty pay plus food & housing allowances. Once they use up their leave balance, they’re retired. Most retirees try to use this option if it’s available, because they end up with more money.

        If a retiring servicemember doesn’t want to take leave or can’t get approved for it (for whatever reason) then they can still sell back their leave. The catch is that they only get base pay for the sale, and no other specialty pay or allowances. They’re retired as soon as they’ve completed the paperwork to sell back the leave and finish their outprocessing.

        Again, if someone claims to be retiring from the military and “needs” you to send them money for retirement fees or transportation, it’s a scam. They have plenty of other resources for financial assistance, including Army Emergency Relief.

Please leave a comment here!

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s